A smart move sit less out and about.
How long have you been sitting today? Maybe you sit to eat breakfast, at your work desk, in the classroom, in the car, on the train, and in front of the TV in the evenings. It all adds up.
We now know that sitting time is a health to adults, with both long and short term impacts. To reduce your risk of health problems, you need to be aware of how much you sit and try to move more throughout the day.
First, try to notice your “sitting time” while out and about a few days or a week. That can make you more aware of when and where you’re sitting too long without getting up. Then try any of the ideas here, and take a stand!
Out and about:
- Park in the far lot at the shopping center.
- Use the walk-in ATM instead of the drive-through.
- Cheer your kid’s soccer team as you pace along the sidelines, not plunked in a chair.
- Waiting for a table? Walk around the parking lot instead of sitting in the foyer or at the bar.
- Take the stairs instead of the escalator.