6 SmartPoints® Per serving (1 biscuit, ¼ cup compote, and 1 tablespoon topping)
- 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or thawed frozen sliced rhubarb
- 3 tablespoons plus ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup thawed frozen fat-free whipped topping
- Combine rhubarb, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb is tender, 5 minutes. Stir in strawberries and cook, stirring often, until softened 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl to cool. Refrigerate covered, until chilled, 2 hours or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven 424°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, remaining ¼ cup of sugar, the baking powder, and salt in large bowl. With pastry blender or 2 knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and lemon zest in small bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until soft dough forms (dough will appear wet).
- Turn dough onto well-floured work surface. Press dough together and pat to 12-inch thickness. With floured 2-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits. Without twisting cutter. Gather scraps and reroll, making 12 biscuits. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 15-17 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Split biscuits in half horizontally. Place bottoms on 12 plates and top each with generous ¼ cup of rhubarb mixture. Cover with tops of biscuits. Top each with 1 tablespoon of whipped topping. Serve immediately.